Friday, April 17, 2009

A look again at The Mist

So last night I finally watched The Mist in black and white on my 2-disc special edition of the movie (at the suggestion of Johnny). Now bear in mind that I like this movie quite a bit. I love Frank Darabont (Shawshank, The Green Mile) and I was very eager to see this movie when it came out. I was a little put off by the special effects at times (a little too computer generated), but it was still a very worthy movie. And the ending. Whoa, just whoa. It was so ballsy and astounding that a Hollywood movie could do that. I was quite impressed with the movie to begin with and glad I watched. If I had a recommendation for you readers, it would be to watch this movie if you haven't seen it, but watch it first in color to get the feel of the movie. Then re-watch it in black and white.

And be prepared to be blown away.

The black and white version is amazing. Yes, it's the same movie, but at the same time it isn't. The special effects are now more masked and less evident. The CGI suddenly looks more integrated. The textures of the monsters are muted and meld with the background textures. The blood takes on more of a Psycho feel. The whole move is just elevated. It works so well it's scary. Darabont says in an intro to the movie (which I also recommend watching) that The Mist was supposed to be his little nod to the 60s monster flicks and wanted it to have that same gritty, surreal feel. In B&W, it does. I can't describe it. You just need to see it.

It's amazing how something so simple can entirely change a viewing experience, but it really does. I can't stress enough that people should watch the movie like this. If you liked the movie, it will make you like it more. If you didn't like the movie, it may just be enough for you to rediscover it. Just go and watch it! Here's a nice little example (the sound is a bit off, but it's the best example I could find quickly):

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. This movie is a completely different experience in B&W and I definetly prefer it over the color version. Just an awesome movie all around.

    ReplyDelete