Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top 10 Horror Comedies of the Decade

Continuing my list off for the next few days, I have my top ten Horror Comedies since 2000. I did this list because I was purposely not including the movies on any of my considerations for best horror. I love horror comedies, it's just hard to compare them to straight horror. I enjoy horror comedies too much to not mention them though, so they get their own list. So, with out further ado, the list!

10. Undead
This is kind of a fun, goofy little Australian zombie flick. There are aliens, a guy with a triple shotgun, and a scene in a hardware store that uses all kinds of strange implements for kills. It's pretty light on story, but it's pretty heavy on gore and other things, so in the end, it's a pretty entertaining ride.

9. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Though towards the end of the movie it turns a bit more serious, this faux-documentary produces some good laughs in the beginning. The scene where he talks about all the cardio you have to do as a relentless killer. "There's that whole thing where you look like you're walking, and everyone else is running their asses off!" Pretty damn funny if you think about it.

8. Planet Terror
Yeah, it's not necessarily a comedy per se, but I'll be damned if it took itself seriously. The better half of Grindhouse is downright hilarious at parts and just plain gross for most of the movie. I can't believe more people didn't like it, but I guess some people thought it was actually trying to be serious. Missing the point of Grindhouse, if you ask me.

7. Fido
Another zomedy? This one flew under the radar and clocked in straight to DVD, but it is still quite redeeming. With a great cast and lines like "Help, help! Grandpa's fallen and he's getting back up!", it was hard for me not to like this flick. The shots and scenery are pretty stellar too!

6. Black Sheep
This time New Zealand steps up to the plate and delivers the goods. Watching mutant sheep attack humans with blood and gore everywhere may not be for everyone, but dammit, it was for me! I really loved watching the ridiculous makeup effects for people being eaten and change into were-sheep (yeah, you read that correctly). If you haven't seen this movie, watch it just to watch the slaughter that happens at a genetic unveiling.

5. Dead Snow
Those crazy Norwegians! Nazi zombies? References to Evil Dead? A self inflicted castration by chainsaw? What's not to love? I had a blast with this movie and all the ridiculousness housed within. I can't stress enough how much fun it was to see another movie that actually used traditional effects instead of CGI. And just seeing some of the things that happened in this movie made me realize that a little comedy never hurts when dealing with zombies.

4. Night of the Living Dorks
I had the joy of seeing this German film on the big screen here at the Wisconsin Film Festival a few years ago and couldn't stop laughing the entire time. As three high schoolers try to raise the dead, they end up dying in a car accident... and coming back to life themselves! It's pretty juvenile humor (not that there's anything wrong with that), but you can't help but laugh as body parts start to fall of and get stapled back on. And yes, one of "those" falls off and gets put back on in a terrifically done scene.

3. Slither
Nathan Fillion is a goddamn genius. Everything about this movie is amazing. Aliens? Check. Zombies? Check. Pointless banter about flight speed of birds? Check. Really gross death scenes? Double check. Watching a woman that has been inflated to the point of bursting with worms is so much fun, I can't even begin to describe it. Well, actually, in the words of Mr. Fillion from this very movie: "Well now that is some fucked up shit."

2. Zombieland
Yeah, I had to include it. What list is complete without it? I had a blast watching this in the theaters. Bill Murray? How do you not love that? Woody Harrelson is great and the entire movie is shot well. I love the rules that kept popping up whenever they were relevant. I couldn't help but see the joy that was put into this movie and think that it was made with someone who really likes zombie/horror movies. That's rare to find and this movie did it. Actually, all of the top 3 movies on this list exhibited that. Which brings me to the number one Horror Comedy of the last decade...

1. Shaun of the Dead
I really liked Zombieland, but it can't hold a candle to Shaun of the Dead. For all the love shown in Slither and Zombieland, Shaun has more than both of them combined. References to The Evil Dead, Lucio Fulci, Night of the Living Dead, and a ton more, Shaun of the Dead is done by people that truly loved and believed in what they were making. It brought in so many memories and produced so many more for me that I include it in my top 5 movies of all time, let alone horror comedies of the last decade. I will watch it whenever it is on TV and have to put it in my DVD player about 3 times a year, minimum. I have a hard time believing any movie will reproduce such feelings in me for a very long time.

23 comments:

  1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023500/

    ReplyDelete
  2. jervaise brooke hamsterNovember 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM

    Why did you put an unwatchable pile of British made garbage at number 1?, that completely spoiled the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and thank you for sharing. There are things here that I did not think before.Thanks to cool such a position that is very well written, we will talk a lot of friends about it. Keep blogging. how to get rid of acne fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post.It really contains valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great post. I have been visiting your site often and I find it really interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the good article I did enjoyed reading it, I will be able to make sure to marker your diary and undoubtedly will come from once more. i would like to encourage that you simply continue your nice job, have an honest day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to share my love is wonderful to tell you that a healthy green gives you the best Organic vitamins, herbal remedies and organic supplements. They use all natural ingredients to create organic products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post.It really contains valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great post. I have been visiting your site often and I find it really interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post.It really contains valuable information.very well written post. thanks for sharing. like this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your post because your all of words are so entertaining and so useful post .I bookmarked your page and will come again.You can visit my own site there was so many effective information about many important thinks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am happy when reading your blog with updated information! thanks a lot and hope that you will post more site that are related to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your post because your all of words are so entertaining and so useful post .


    iPad Video Lesson Offer

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bookmarked your page and will come again.You can visit my own site there was so many effective information about many important thinks

    Instantly Stream Unlimited Full Movies

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post.It really contains valuable information.very well written post.Really impressed! Everything is extremely open and extremely clear reason of problems. It contains really news. Your web site is extremely valuable. Thanks for sharing.

    Trick Photography

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, to sharing this nice information, I really appreciate your thinking, & i will visit again for getting more updates.


    Forex Striker - History's 1st Patented Trade Robot

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am happy when reading your blog with updated information! thanks a lot and hope that you will post more site that are related to this site.

    stocktips


    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel that this site could be very useful & informative. Looking forward to more stuff

    ReplyDelete
  23. IMHO, We definitely match most people, except when we possess a somewhat various other outlook and also we are going to no certainly exactly the same thing area. However, I'd prefer to the site focus their author's ease of come up with entertaining sms, their own erudition or maybe try to be piece on inetrnet. With thanks.

    ReplyDelete