Monday, March 9, 2009

Who watches The Watchmen? (a quick slip away from horror)

Apparently, most of America watches The Watchmen. I, of course, saw it like everyone else this weekend. I also happened to watch Gremlins this weekend. So what was the best movie I watched this weekend?

Gremlins.

Watchmen left me underwhelmed. The acting was pretty bad. Silk Spectre II was god awful, Ozymandius only slightly better. It was 2 hours and 49 minutes and by the end, I was actually hoping it would end soon. And bear in mind, I can handle long movies (I own and watch Lord of The Rings extended editions). It's not that the movie is almost 3 hours, it's that it feels like it's almost 3 hours. It wasn't all bad, but it wasn't good by any means.

Zack Snyder has an eye for scenery, but has no ability to shoot a fight scene without diving into slow motion for no good fucking reason. That was one of the big reasons I didn't like 300 either. Watchmen is no different, choosing to make a fight scene that should last 2 minutes last 10. The movie is probably about 2 hours worth of movie and 49 minutes worth of slow motion (that's an exaggeration of course, but you get my point). Basically, there is no chemistry between most of the actors, so instead of having on screen tension and drama, you get slow motion and extreme close-ups of actors' faces. Seriously, probably 1/3 of the movie is spent with one actor's face taking up the majority of the screen. I just don't care that much to see the wrinkles and moles on people's faces.

Like I said, it wasn't all bad: Rorschach was kick ass (kudos to Jackie Earle Haley), Dr. Manhattan was done very well by Billy Crudup, and The Comedian was equally good. However, the three of them aren't on the screen enough to save the film. And the film looks very pretty, but scenery gets lost when you don't have any actors to include in it. Overall, I feel like this movie is not going to be remembered for long and in 2 years, is anyone going to be watching The Watchmen?

At least it wasn't as bad as this was:

4 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you completely on this one Zach.
    [I for one will still be watching this one in two years!] :-)

    I am just curious ~ Are a fan of the comics?
    [just wondering as most who seem to dislike this film are not fans]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge fan of the graphic novel. That's part of the reason for being so disappointed in the movie. Just out of curiosity, did you like 300? I've noticed that if people liked 300, they also tended to like this (and I didn't like 300 either).

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this video clip... Thanks for sharing that... I'll be watching out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I LOVED 300!!!
    [well, there we have it, I guess] :-)

    ReplyDelete