Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Sounds of Horror

I was just thinking about all of the different horror movies I have watched over the years and about the soundtracks I have heard coming from them. I was trying to come up with the best soundtracks in horror and got to thinking that I wanted to hear from everyone about what their favorite soundtracks were as well. So I would like to start this discussion now.

First, some guidelines:

1. When I say soundtrack, I don't mean soundtracks full of modern rock/metal songs that they did for the movie. I like Scream 3 and Resident Evil's soundtracks too, but I don't want to hear about that.

2. I don't want to hear about the classics. Yes, Psycho was awesome. Tubular Bells made The Exorcist creepier. And who doesn't know the Halloween theme? I want something you don't hear about all the time.

3. Tell me why you like it so much. Not a lengthy explanation, but just the reason it stands out for you.

I'll get it going with a movie I recently spoke about:



It's a great soundtrack that features a freaking harpsichord! How often do you hear that? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. It might qualify as a classic but i'll go ahead and say it anyway ; Suspiria is probably my favorite horror soundtrack of all time. In fact, I think I like the soundtrack better than the movie itself. It's so creepy and really makes the whole movie a magical and trippy experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Johnny about Suspiria's soundtrack. Here are some of my other favorite horror soundtracks:

    Cannibal Holocaust- Some songs in this movie are sad and scary at the same time. Also, the main theme is disturbing, because it's a happy song, yet it's in a movie that is very violent and shocking.

    The Beyond- I just love this soundtrack. It's ominous, but it has a beat to it. The main theme is one of the best songs ever in my opinion.

    City of the Living Dead- The music adds atomsphere to the movie. The song that plays when the priest stares at people, making them cry tears of blood really goes with those scenes.

    Well, those are my favorite horror movie soundtracks. I find it interesting that they all came from Italian horror movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Suspiria and feel that the soundtrack is an underrated one at that!

    Soap Magic: I agree with your choices. You must like the 80s synth, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Beyond, great choice. Love the music in Fulci's movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will also echo the love for Goblin's Suspiria soundtrack...my all time favorite. The movie is effective, but the music is what really ramps up the tension. I don't recommend playing this in the car while driving at night. I agree on Fulci's music too...

    The Thing...Ennio Morricone's score with the repeating thumping bass line is awesome.

    The music from Phantasm is good, memorable and creepy.

    The original Amityville Horror has a recurring theme often sung by children "la la...la la..." that really adds a level of uneasiness that helps cut through some of the cheesiness of the movie to make it pretty darn good.

    Killer Klowns from Outer Space has a neat synth score that is ominous but playful, with occassional "circusy" themes. And you have to love the great theme song by the Dickies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to agree with the Ravenous soundtrack but you should have rather linked this video of "Boyd's Journey" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeOGSIkAgZU ).

    ReplyDelete