Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Remakes That Should Make The Original Proud

I did a post on remakes that never should have been a bit ago, so I figured why not do one that talks about good remakes (thanks MonkeyManBob). So here are some remakes that actually did the original justice (in my opinion anyway):

Night of the Living Dead (1990): Tom Savini took the directing reigns and turned out a worthy remake of the original. With horror powerhouses Tony Todd and Tom Towles in this movie, it really hit on all cylinders. It feels like watching a 50s horror movie with better effects. Just an entertaining movie all around.

Quarantine (2008): [rec] is a great movie. Quarantine might be a bit better. I thought this movie was very well done and scary, actually overshadowing the original in some aspects (though [rec]'s ending is the better of the two, I must say). I was very pleased with Quarantine and it was nice to see a good remake.

The Thing (1982): John Carpenter's masterpiece that is usually considered one of the greatest remakes of all time is just that. It's such a great adaptation. The tight plot, wonderful acting, and tense effects scenes just make it so enjoyable to watch. I just love this movie.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006): Alexandre Aja's re-imagining of Craven's good but dated movie was one of my favorites. It was gory but still scary, a rarity these days. I loved the mutants and the fact that Aja tried to use as little CGI as possible, instead favoring make up effects. Too bad The Hills Have Eyes 2 sucked.

The Ring (2002): Better than the original Ringu, The Ring blew me away the first time I saw it. Subsequent viewings have continued to amaze me, just marveling at the way it is shot and how it can scare you. Again, it's too bad the sequel didn't live up to this remake.

Dawn of the Dead (2004): Though it lacked the social commentary of the original, it was still a kickass movie. I like the slow zombies more than the fast zombies, but this movie still had a nice sense of dread to it. The characters were fun too, so it made it pretty easy to watch.

Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. There are a few remakes that didn't disgrace the original but didn't overwhelm me like the others (Texas Chainsaw, Amityville Horror, Halloween, House of Wax, Friday the 13th to name a few), but I didn't want to list all of those here. As always, what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% on the NotLD remake. I personally think it's better than the original. It's too bad that it's underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE BLOB by Chuck Russell. The effects alone should make the Steve McQueen original proud

    ReplyDelete